Our mission is to make affordable housing a matter of conscience and encourage a spirit of service in our community by engaging young professionals ages 21 to 39, allowing them the opportunity to:
- Advocate for affordable housing - HYP members will speak out about affordable housing and Habitat Charlotte, as well as encourage friends, family, and colleagues to join HYP of Charlotte.
- Volunteer time with Habitat for Humanity - HYP members are invited to volunteer on the worksite, in the ReStores and during special events
- Give within their means - HYP members commit to pay dues to support Habitat Charlotte's affordable housing initiatives
Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte is guided by the following core principles:
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people
together to build homes, communities and hope.
1. Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ.
We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the belief that God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that, through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
2. Focus on shelter.
We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God’s love, to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durable shelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with others to accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
3. Advocate for affordable housing.
In response to the prophet Micah’s call to do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God, we promote decent, affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. We will advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, in all of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such powerful ways that poverty housing becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
4. Promote dignity and hope.
We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has something to contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places to live. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
5. Support sustainable and transformational development.
We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.